Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default When music mattered more

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
com
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

gy.
net
In article
,
MiNe 109 wrote:

In article .com,
ScottW wrote:

Eclipsed by the disgusting $$ rained on no-talent
produucer created pop stars of today. A practice in play
since the Monkees .

While failing to note that the songwriting for The Monkees was
exceptional (Boyce-Hart, Neil Diamond, Carole King),

The songwriters may have been exceptional.
The songwriting was not.

C'mon! Pleasant Valley Sunday, Last Train to Clarksville, Stepping
Stone, excellent songwriting.

Stephen

Shades of Grey, You Just May Be the One, Mr. Webster... all in all an
excellent pop music catalogue, well sung and played.

Excellent pop if you must, but not excellent and quickly lost in the
test
of
time
except to the few who idolized them.

ScottW

Well, it ain't Mozart or the Beatles, I agree.

But still very often
played on the radio, and Rhino sold a lot of their stuff.

If I had to pick an American Pop icon of the era it would
probably be Mamas and the Papas.

I might agree. Great, great sound. Only one #1 hit; three remembered
songs. I wrote a little guitar tune the day that Denny died. I might
nominate CSN/CSNY.

Well.....I have a distinction between pop and rock. They were mainstream
rock

Point taken.

I like old Neil Young but CSNY didn't stick with me. Too polished
maybe?

Have you seen their "Down By the River" (one of Neil's best songs, I
think) on Youtube? I love it. http://youtube.com/watch?v=yYZ50PjDTi8
Memories of high school dances for me!

I still play Jefferson Airplane often. I love Crown of Creation.
Lather was 30's year old today....

A fine album, but not generally "American Pop icon of the era"
nomination material, of course. I think that David Crosby wrote a track
on that album, didn't he?

I forgot to nominate Simon and Garfunkel. Real 60s pop icons. Simon
has had a truly incredible career. Unreal longevity. I saw one of
their reunion concerts about 4 years ago in Oakland. Totally cool. The
BEST live acoustic guitar sound in a large venue I've ever heard by a
long shot, BTW.

ScottW