Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Listed Specifications for Guitar Speaker Frequency Range

On 5/27/2019 2:10 PM, James Price wrote:
I own a pair of Mackie HR824's, and the listed frequency range is
39-20000Hz with a tolerance of ±1.5 dB. Is such a narrow tolerance
realistic / accurate below 60 Hz / above 12 KHz?

With a tolerance that small, generally there's some fine print that
stipulates less than the specified range. Mackie used to individually
test each speaker in a relatively small and not completely anechoic
isolation chamber and they included a graph with each speaker. I don't
remember what the frequency range on the graph was, and I don't know if
they still do that with their current line of monitors.

There's (always) some smoothing involved with frequency response plots,
sometimes as broad as a full octave, so while most of the amplitude
response falls within a 3 dB band, there are almost certainly some
frequencies where that range will be exceeded over a small frequency
range. That's why most of us don't use frequency response specifications
for anything but a guide, and make our critical evaluation by listening.