Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Arlen Holder Arlen   Holder is offline

Default Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONE of the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!

On Thu, 05 Nov 2020 16:43:25 -0500, Paul wrote:

You need a diagram of an HDAudio chip, as additional context info.

I'll find one later and post a link. I've posted
one before, just can't find it. The ones in Analog Devices
datasheets are pretty clear, for example, and you'll be
able to see the Stereo Mix in there.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the help and advice. You don't have to find the diagram as I
believe you. This Stereo Mix stuff was simply new to me.

But I'm no audiophile.
o I just wanted to write a tutorial for others to capture streaming audio.

That tutorial would _start_ with the five setup steps on newer Windows 10:
1. We need to turn on app & desktop app access to the "microphone"
o Win+R ms-settingsrivacy-microphone == Microphone access = on/on

2. We need to ensure the audio driver can enable a "Stereo Mix" option
o Win+R devmgmt.msc Sound video & game controllers == Update driver

3. We then need to enable Stereo Mix in that Windows 10 audio driver:
o Win+R mmsys.cpl Recording Stereo Mix == Enabled
https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software

4. We need to install Audacity & set the recording to "Stereo Mix"
o Audacity:Edit Preferences Devices Recording == Stereo Mix

5. We need to also enable "loopback", which in my case is mechanical:
o Plug in any 1/8-inch male plug into the lime green LineOut connector

6. Then we can stream audio, capture it, and save it to an MP3 file.
o The 8 Best Free Online Music Streaming Services With No Limitations
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-online-music-streaming-services-restrictions/