Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Arlen Holder Arlen   Holder is offline

Default Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONE of the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 18:45:56 -0500, Paul wrote:

Microsoft uses terminology to suit the high-runner application.

I googled what "high runner" meant, but found nothing; so I assume you mean
"high end" applications, such as those which might require the sound card.

The permission is more likely to be "use the ADC on the HDAudio",
meaning Mic_In, Line_In, Stereo_Mix. All of those are multiplexer
inputs feeding a stereo ADC on the HDaudio chip.

That is a good explanation, which is that Microsoft uses the term
"microphone" to mean the audio ADC input on the sound card.

They could refine their permission to any degree they want,
but there aren't any other choices than "Microphone", and the
only way to make one control "fit" is if the control actually
owns the ADC instead. If Microsoft said "permission to use the ADC",
nobody is going to know what that is.

I noticed that in some tutorials they mentioned that the "onboard"
circuitry wouldn't allow Audacity to capture the streaming audio, while in
others they didn't mention that complication.

Since I have both onboard and the Nvidia GeForce graphics card, I wasn't
sure which ADC is being used, where I 'think' I'm using the on-board ADC
because the only sound jacks 1/8th-inch photo plugs are on the motherboard
(the Nvidia GeForce 210 has digital output but no stereo jacks).

In summary, I'm not sure how useful converting a YouTube audio to MP3 is
(using Audacity) since it can be more easily downloaded as an M4A with
youtubedl.exe; but there "might" be a use (somehow) of Audacity being able
to save streaming audio from other applications (e.g., Zoom, WebRTC,
whatever).
--
It's nice to have Audacity in our arsenal but I'm not sure how useful it is
to capture streaming audio since we likely could capture it anyway.