Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default MP3 Encoder

As I recall, the question that started this thread was about whether it
was possible to determine which encoder was used to create an MP3 file.
I stopped by the Fraunhofer booth at the NAB show yesterday and asked
that question. I got a pretty reasonable though incomplete answer.

There are some places where the user can put additional data that isn't
audio. Encoder developers can, and sometimes do use this space to
identify themselves, but nobody makes it easy. You could probably
determine by looking at a frame with a hex editor who made the encoder,
if you knew how they identified themselves. It's more likely that you
could tell if two files of the same bit rate were created with the same
encoder.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then