Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default MP3 Encoder

On 06/04/2014 15:38, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 4/6/2014 6:26 AM, John Williamson wrote:
I fairly quickly moved over to 128kbps average at a variable bit rate
for better sound and the same file sie, and as storage has got cheaper,
I've been able to afford higher bitrate mp3 storage. The only thing I
have a problem understanding now is why it is so hard to by a portable
music player with a decent amount of storage, as most of the top out at
16 Gigabytes. The one I use daya to day has 250Gig on board.

Great googly moogly! What can you possibly do with 250 GB of compressed
audio files in your pocket? How do you even remember what you have
stored on there? You'd need a computer to keep track.

Wait a minute. You HAVE a computer.

Two, in fact. And a number of mp3 players.

I don't even have a drive that large in any of my computers. I load up
my 4 GB MP3 player with 128 or 192kbps files, mostly 1, 2, or 3 hour
radio programs and I usually don't get through it on a two week trip
away from home. And you know what? When listening through a car radio,
particularly in my own car which has neither a USB host port nor a line
input so I use a cassette adapter, my life wouldn't be any better if I
was playing 24/96 PCM files.

Your tripping experience obviously differs.

My trips are anything up to a week away from home, and with 50 or so
passengers, I need to keep a decent variety of music available.

It's all arranged logically, so I can find any track within a few
seconds, but mostly, they are arranged in playlists for different groups.

The big downward jump I saw with these things was when an iPod had a 20
GB hard drive and its solid state replacement was considerably smaller.

Yes. My first player came with a 10 Gig drive, which got replaced by a
20, then a 30, as the collection grew. The 250 at the moment only has
about 40 Gig of music on it, with another hundred or so of videos.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.