Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default MP3 Encoder

On 05/04/2014 10:30, Shaun wrote:

"S. King" wrote in message ...

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 19:48:13 -0500, Shaun wrote:

"mcp6453" wrote in message

How can I examine a file to see which encoder was used to compress it to
MP3? I use Adobe Audition 1.5, which uses the Fraunhofer codec, but I
can't prove it.
In fact, TagScanner reports it as Lame.

I used to have a utility that was pretty good about it, but I cannot
remember what it was. I've tried iTunes, MP3tag, TagScanner, foobar2000,
and VLC.

Thanks.

It's an MP3 file... it doesn't matter. MP3s are about 1/10 the file
size of the original CDA or WAV file stored on a CD. You're not going
to get any good quality from it. Try switching to a LOSSLESS
compression CODEC and then it matters. MP3s are garbage!!!! I never
listen to them, even on my iPOD.

Shaun

Good for you Shaun. You've really added to the conversation. You've
shown your comprehensive knowledge of codecs and wrappers. And throwing
in technical terms like "garbage" really provides sauce for the discourse.

SteveK

LOL !!.....

OK I have heard that LAME is the best MP3 encoder out there and if you
use 192 or 256 Kbps rates you will get the best sound from an MP3. MP3s
are a LOSSY compression algorithm meaning that parts of the original
sound from the source (most likely a CD) are removed when converted to
MP3. When they add the left and right channels together and then
subtract; L - R (sum and difference) you typically reduced the required
file size of the music to around 55% from the original size; you can get
all of the original sound back, Left and Right channels by reversing the
math. Another example to reduce the file size would be to remove a
softer sound right after a loud sound, because most people will not hear
the softer sound anyway.
After the MP3 codec compresses the music file, you will loose enough of
the music that if played on a good stereo, it will not sound the same
and you loose the effect (emotion) of the music. IF you use a lossless
compression codec such as FLAC which is free to use and Foobar 2000 has
a plugin for it, your saved music will sound much better at playback,
but it will take up more room on the harddrive.

FYI, LAME (As in "LAME Ain't an Mp3 Encoder" according to the website
and manual), is not an MP3 encoder. It is a "clean room" engineered
lossy perceptual encoder that produces mp3 compatible files.

The only *true* mp3 encoders are the Fraunhofer one, and a few others
that licence the Fraunhofer technology. The Fraunhofer encoder is
optimised to produce its best results at 128 kbps constant bit rate, as
that is what the design brief specified. It actually sounds worse at
256k than at 128k.

For what it's worth, there are very few people who can tell a 320kbps
mp3 file produced by LAME from a CD quality file when they are compared
blind on decent equipment. Almost anyone can spot the 256k file on even
cheap equipment.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.