Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Default At power on tube filaments light up more than normal for a sec

Ian Iveson wrote:
Ian Bell wrote

Actually, in a conductor electricity does not 'flow at
the speed of light' the net flow of electrons in a
conductor is barely a few meters per second.
Two different things, depending on what you think
electricity is. Flow of electricity happens much faster
than your surely quaint "net flow of electrons".

Of course, hence the ,pedant/pedant tokens.

Sorry. Sometimes I fall prey to the temptation to be clever.
Actually I know sod all about electricity. I lost the plot
after the Bohr atom. These days I think of standing waves,
but not very clearly. Being a materialist, I have some
issues with explanations that place probability in the real
world.

Me too. And I believe there are possible new theories that don't require
it I am pleased to say.

The question "What is electricity?" is problematic, to say
the least.

Agreed!! It's really a question for the theorists and physicists. As an
engineer I an just thankful that electricity 'is' and I have empirical
rules for working with it ;-)

Cheers

Ian
cheers,