Alex Rodriguez

Default In search of the perfect Home Audio Appliance (or something like it)

In article , says...

So anyway, that was my first concern - the lack of CD-R reading capability.
More generally however, at some point it dawned on me how utterly idiotic
the very concept of these huge, fat, and slow CD jukeboxes has become,
now, in this era of Apple iPODs. I mean seriously, the clear wave of
the future is to compress all your music, and to strore it on a hard
drive. That is exactly what a lot of people do already, and I _know_
that is exactly what we will all be doing within a couple of years, at
most, even, and perhaps especially, at home. (iPODs and Rios are swell
when I'm out walking, but what amount when I am just veging out on the
living-room couch??)

If you don't mind compromising on sound quality, then compressing is
the way to go. If sound quality is important, compressing is not the
way to go.
Alex