00

Default can portable cassette recorder record on Type II tapes?

Hi,
Does anyone know if ordinary cassette recorder can record on Type II i.e.
CR-O2 tapes?
Recently I bought a portable Sony casette recorder(model TCS-30D), its
instruction says Type II tapes should not be used. Is there any significant
difference between cassette heads that can and those that cannot record on
Type II tapes?
I’m trying to record onto cassette tapes from original cassettes (hooking up
a mini hifi system with single casstte player to a portable Sony cassette
recorder), and finding Type I tapes giving inferior sound quality - or is
the recording head not giving good enough recording?
Thanks for all help.