Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Deliberately introducing clipping?

wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote: "We live in an age with a lot of "mastering engineers" =
who really don't care about the long-term prospects of their product. "

I used to think that way - blame loudness & clipping all on the engineers. =
Over at GearSlutz they have explained to me that recording/mixing/masterin=
g are service businesses, and that if you wanted to have food on the table =
and keep a roof over your head, yeah, you could educate your clients(the mu=
sicians, their producers) all you want, but then you would just give the cl=
ient a hypercompressed, brickwall-limited ultra-loud master, if that's what=
they requested.

Well, that's true, and again it's mostly the result of the client not
caring about long-term prospects. Which I suppose is wise given the
market for music in general today.