Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Doug McDonald[_6_] Doug McDonald[_6_] is offline

Default Mind Stretchers

On 5/31/2012 11:02 PM, Audio Empire wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2012 07:44:41 -0700, Doug McDonald wrote
(in ):

Actually I suspect that 4 mikes is enough to establish a
soundfield and am quite sure that 16 would be.

That is for the soundfield impinging on one spot of course.

The four mikes would be four omnis in a spaced tetrahedron,
say 10 inches on a side.

I suggest that 4 omni-directional microphones, that close together. would
yield mono unless some precautions were taken to isolate the microphones from
each other (as in Kimber's Iso-Mike setup.
http://www.isomike.com/gallery/gallery.html).

I'm not proposing that the 4-mike arrangement would
be "playable". The 16 mike one would, of course,
since it is a gross superset of both the standard
coincident cardioid pair and the spaced cardioid pair.
It could mimic those exactly, if the mikes were ideal examples
of their nominal pattern, using linear combinations.

I was in fact referring to using these for a computerized soundfield
analysis.

Doug McDonald