Posted to rec.audio.high-end
KH KH is offline

Default Mind Stretchers

On 5/30/2012 2:41 AM, Gary Eickmeier wrote:
"Dick wrote in message

large snip

Thanks for the tip. So let me read to you for a minute:

From R. Vermeulen's paper on Stereo Reverberation (JAES, vol. 6, no. 2, pp.

124 - 130, 1958 April):

NECESSITY FOR AUGMENTED REVERBERATION

It is true that by suitable positioning of the microphone we can pick up
reverberation sound from the hall and reproduce the prolongation of the
sound. my emphasis.

Quite a relevant point that I've been endeavoring to have you
understand. Thank you for pointing out the reference - there is no
"spatial" information in the signal. Level and arrival time. That's it.

But here again, we are apt to make the same mistake in that we
reproduce only one and - of course - the only measurable characteristic of
the sound field, viz, the reverberation time,

Note - time...the *only* measurable characteristic. There is no other
recording parameter to capture "spatial" information. Here's your
answer to your "smartass" question. Rhetorical on your part evidently.

but neglect its spatial
distribution. The loudspeakers of a stereophonic set can never reproduce the
sound field in the concert hall with any accuracy in the home; how indeed
could they do so with only the data from two microphones at their disposal?

Wow, this guy's good. You indeed can never reproduce the sound field in
the venue when using only two microphones for the recording. Why?
Simply because, as he states above, the spatial information is not
encoded in the signal. Note, recordings using 3 mics, or any number of
close-miked instruments panned into place will suffer the exact same
effects. Wonder where I've heard that before...

snip

He goes on to describe how to simulate the reverberant field by means of a
distribution of loudspeakers.

And corresponding microphones. This in no wise supports your method of
taking a signal devoid of non-temporal spatial information (i.e. no
incident angle info) and by bouncing the entire - direct and reverberant
- signal off the wall(s), thereby introducing an artificially delayed
acoustic wave superimposed on the directly radiated signal (which also
contains both the direct and reverberant data). While you may sense
that as spaciousness, it is clearly less accurate.

And as Mr. Pierce accurately observed, morphing the term "stereo" to
incorporate any number of speakers in any configuration is, IMO, clearly
a dodge. If you want to discuss surround sound - the term you clearly
know is universally applied - say so.

Keith