Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Will home recording kill commercial studios?

geoff wrote:
On 14/12/2020 1:50 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:

For me it's the total opposite.... since the DAW world allows you to have
as many channels as you want, there's no need to record stems or premixes,
so I just track directly through standalone preamps. Then I use the console
for mixing down.

A console being essentially a bunch of stand-alone preamps in one box,
for this purpose.

Recording to ...?

Usually a DAW, which I use for editing and comping, just like I use the tape
machine for editing and comping. Sometimes a standalone digital recorder
which is more convenient for concert work, but requires files to be moved
off to a daw and back if extensive editing is needed. Sometimes a 1" Ampex.

The main difference being your mix-down, with no editing of any other
sort, in any type of 'box' ?

Editing in the box, mixdown out of the box.