Posted to rec.audio.car
SKaReCRoW SKaReCRoW is offline

Default 8" 10" or 12"...which one?

Back in 2000 I paid retail for a pair of 10w3d6's that I stuck in an
Audiobahn bandpass box after blowing my Audiobahn subs on my way to my first
db drag comp. (amp accidentally got switched to full range instead of low
pass)

My first comp didn't go well, but not because of the speakers. I didn't
have the worlds greatest amp hooked up to them. The next db drag comp was a
week later, and in that week I installed an Audiobahn A2200HC, and blew away
everyone in my class (1-2 woofers 0-400 watts street class). I was the only
person running 10's. Everyone else in my class was running a pair of 12's
of various brands including JL, Rockford, Kicker, and several others. The
only person who even came close was a girl running a pair of 12w3's in a
little red hatchback. I had my setup in an 87 Toyota Camry. If I remember
correctly she was using a RF amp, but I couldn't tell you which one. She
hit 141.7 against my 141.9. 2 weeks later I installed a crossover and hit
142.7 at a USAC event with the same JL 10w3's which weren't even in the
correct type of box!

Sorry, but if the w3 series is the biggest pile of crap that JL makes, I'm
afraid of their "good" stuff. I know the w3's are severely underrated too.
The 10w3d6's are rated to handle 250 watts RMS, but I was pushing about 1200
watts into the pair running the A2200HC at 1.5 ohm mono. The subs took
everything I could throw at them and begged for more. That's why I just
bought a pair of 15w3v2's and an Audiobahn A2300HCX amp for my Suburban.
Haven't hooked anything up yet, cuz I haven't decided if I'm going to build
or buy a box yet, and whichever route I go I need to build a custom amp rack
as well.

"ChrisB" wrote in message

I am not that anti-JL because I run a 13w6v2 in my 2006 Mustang. I also
have a pair of 10w3s that suck royally. Anyone that pays close to MSRP
for the w3 series is getting the biggest pile of crap that JL Audio
produces and the RE, Fi, and Zuki subs will walk all over them!

Check here for the subwoofers I am talking about:

http://reaudio.com/woofers.html#goto_se

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraud...iew.shopscript

http://www.zukiaudio.com/

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/prod...hp?Family_Id=4

I will tell you the main reason I am anti-JL audio though.... That is
because every local custom shop pushes them and pushes them HARD! The
profit margins on JL Audio equipment in general are LARGE and everyone who
drinks the JL Audio kool aid swears that JL is the best, and JL is far
from it, especially for the price!