Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default It looks like Whoever Pays for the Studio Time, Owns the Recordings

In article , Paul wrote:
So let's say I have a sax player who pays me to record
the raw tracks from a live gig, but wants me to send
him the WAV files so he can mix it himself.

It looks like I can't legally go behind his back and
try to sell my own mixes to the singer or bass player,
because the sax player paid me, and so technically he
owns the master recordings, right?

If there is no contract, the guy with the better lawyer has
rights to everything.

It's not like in photography, where the person who
took the picture owns the rights...

If the photographer didn't get a model release signed, he doesn't
own all the rights and can't use the picture. (Mind you there are
exceptions to this... and lawyers are paid a lot of money to find
exceptions).

Everybody needs to sign a contract, then everthing is out in black
and white. Without a contract, everyone is screwed except the lawyers.