Posted to rec.audio.tubes
GRe GRe is offline

Default JADIS amp reformation

"patrick-turner" wrote in message

Anyone ... invited to have a look.

Even(!) Audiophools agree to your findings:
"The Jadis also measures worse ...; it has a severely compromised bass
response"
http://www.stereophile.com/content/j...ivsi-listening

Don't read the rest, it's a waste of time.

Impossible not to stumble over your SE transformer test jig.
My 2(euro)cent about how I test transformer inductance.

Use courier font!

T1
Variac L1
L O-----)|( +----------------------):
)|( | ):
)|( T2 C1 | DUT ):
)|(----)|(-----||-----o-----)|(--- +-):
)|( )|( - + | )|( |
)|( )|( | )|( (I)
)|( )|( (V) )|( | +
)|( )|( | )|( +---+
)|( )|( | )|( | | DC-supply
N O--o--)|(--o--)|(---o--[R1]--o-----)|(--- +---+
+-------+ +--(V)---+--------------------+

Basically the same to your set-up, but with some more flexibility.
R1 & C1 are identical to what you chose in your jig.
For L1 I use a 8H/460mA/60ohm-DRC choke thats handy, inductance
high enough to reject the ac and dcR/Idc good enough to enable
adequate Idc at a reasonable DC-supply voltage.

T2 is 220/2x 24V, with T1 at full trottle it's output is 58Vac.
For higher Vac I use an isolating variac, without T2 of course.
F.e., characterization of chokes destined for LC-filters high
Vac (may) show quite different inductance than at low Vac.
An Amroh 1505 choke tested this way showed 7.5H @ 200Vac/150mAdc
against 5.8H @ 20Vac/150mAdc, 30% more.

To measure leakage induction I'm working on a SS Amp.
Probably such a set-up makes the above one superfluous.

L1
SS Amp. +----------------------):
+-------+ | ):
| |\ | T3? C1 | DUT ):
+-----| | |----)|(-----||-----o-----)|(---+ +-):
| | |/ | )|( - + | )|( | |
| +---+---+ )|( | )|( | (I)
| | | -

*Hint for Phil, see the distortion spec. of HP3325A(+HV option).

BTW, you deliberately ignored "Rw" to calculate "Lp" for practical reason?

Regards,
Gio

Patrick Turner