Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Turntable recommendations

On May 10, 9:52*pm, Boon wrote:
On May 10, 9:41*pm, hophead wrote:

In article 466ed230-2dca-432b-844b-f09e528e2493
@e1g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, says...

Thanks, I'm now eyeing a used Pro-Ject. What do you think of Music
Hall?

Music Hall are essentially comparable to Pro-Ject (they are really
customized Pro-ject tables). They are fine for the price.

I wouldn't argue strenously with Boon regarding Rega as a choice, but
frankly I'd choose an entry level Pro-Ject or Music Hall over a P1. But
if you could find something like a used P3 in your price range, that
would be sweet.

The P1 is frankly no big deal. It sounds no better than a Pro-Ject or
a Music Hall. But I bet it's still much more reliable.

Last weekend I compared a P1 directly with a P2, both with the Ortofon
Red 2M cartridge. The P1 sounded woolly and distinct, while the P2
sounded much more like music.

Which arm did the P2 have on it? The RB-250?

I may try to find a P2 with no arm and slip an RB-300 on it. I've seen
a couple go for less than I would have expected recently. I was
leaning toward Rega but I saw a Pro-Ject RM-4 on eBay that had me
thinking.

If I get frustrated by not finding one soon enough I'll just get an
SL1200 with a Stanton 681EEE. Then I can scratch with my Sheffield
Harry James disks at a local club.

(Believe this or not I found a third one today. In the past week I
have found "King James Version", "Still Harry after all these years"
and "Coming from a good place". All dead mint. Total investment for
all three: $12. Woo hoo! Also this week I came up with a Reference
Recordings 45 RPM 12", some nice Shaded Dogs, a London blueback and
some others. Ella on Verve, a couple of MFSL 1/2 speeds and on and on.
And me with no turntable here!)

Thanks to the three of you (Jenn, Hop and Boon. No thanks to the
Bratziod robot spammer)!