Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville
Default Pre-amp/compressor chaining question

"jeffontheleft" wrote:

So I've somewhat close-mic'ed my drum overheads with NT5's through an
RNP chained to an RNC. This is my first time using this setup so i'm
not sure what the most conventional approach would be.

The conventional approach is to track "clean" and use compression
during mixdown. There's nothing patently wrong with using an(y)
effect during tracking, just use caution not to overdo it. There's
plenty of ways to screw up a take and too much effect is one that's
easy to avoid.

It seems like
one advantage to using pre-recording compression is that you can boost
the level feeding into the compressor really hot and then use the
compressor to attenuate its peaks just below threshold. Is this
common practice, or is that more a job for a limiter?

This is the easiest way to ruin a take.
I'd not usually hard limit drums during tracking or mixing.
Drums need headroom to sound natural to me.

The distinction between compression and limiting can be
a bit fuzzy depending on how it's set and used.

Also, should I
ever turn the RNP up above the level that if the output signal were
unprocessed it would be clipping? I plan on doing alot of
experimenting but any constructive advice you have to offer would
certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, you don't ever want to intentionally clip at the inputs of any
device, but additional gain can add to the effect of compression
like shifting the threshhold level. Just be careful about actually
clipping.

rd