Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default NY

One popular dictionary's entry:

1) a period of ten years: the three decades from 1776 to 1806.
2) a period of ten years beginning with a year whose last digit is zero:
the decade of the 1980s.
3) a group, set, or series of ten.

Of course, decade is a word with many usages - those are just some of
them. But in the context we were discussing we know which it was: A
defined period of ten years beginning with a year that terminates with
a one. The first decade is the years 1 to 10 - continue counting from
there. And at no point do you get to slip in a nine year decade.

The original post said:

It's the next decade here already.

This fits with all three of the definitions I pasted here.
The only reason I can see to force a count from year one,
is to highlight the fact that one understands a mathematical
technicality.