Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Default Running 8ohm speakers on 4ohm tap of tube amp

Ace Rimmer said:

Andre wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:

Good?

You get less power
Bad?

Won't hurt the amplifier or speaker
Snake oil?

If it's done for any other reason then
that there is no 8-Ohm output or 4 Ohm
speaker available,.. it's snake oil, yeah.

I read somewhere (wish i could find it now) that it improved dampening.

It depends if your amp is a triode or beam tetrode/penthode amp.
Triodes are a bit more forgiving in mismatching, both in power and
distortion
Penthodes are a bit more picky.

Usually, one needs to get the closest match possible, but if you have
no choicem choose the first lower tap available.
If for instance you have 6 ohms speakers, attach them to the 4 ohms
tap.

I can explain why if you like, but for now I'll leave it at this.

One thing: NEVER use a tube amp without any loads connected.

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."