Joseph Oberlander

Hi,

"What size room is best (for a listening room)?

To this question rec.audio FAQ answers: "For smoothest bass response, a
listening room should be as large as possible".
The FAQ also provides with ideal proportions of the room, speakers
position, etc, but it does not tell about the *minimum* requirements
for the size of a room that can still be accepted for decent listening
of hi-fi stereo...

I am living abroad at the moment and I have to rent a room. The one
that I have now is pretty small. I would like to buy a stereo (cd
player+amp+2 speakers) for about $1500 and I am considering if it makes
any sense to buy hi-fi if the room is so small - about 3m x 4m.

11*14 ft is kind of small. 4m*5m is probably the smallest I'd
consider - about the size of most living rooms.

Two questions:
1. What are the minimum room size requirements that can still be
accepted for a listening room?
2. Does it make any sense to buy a hi-fi for a temporary room when in
the future this hi-fi will be used in different room?

Yes. Good sound will still be good sound after the move.

I'd actually suggest a loft if you can find one - get the most
open space that you can and use portable dividers as walls
(or install them, like they do in Japanese homes) There is
a lot you can do with even a 600sq ft open space.

That said, for stereo music, I like to spend about $1000 on
a good set of speakers. Given that you live in the U.K.,
that makes Tannoy an obvious choice, especially used. KEF
is also a good choice, though they tend to be a bit pricier
for the sound you get.

Almost any receiver will do, as will a CD player(or just get
a DVD player). Figure $100 for a DVD player, $200-300 for the
amplifier. Again, used is good - I recommend one of the 5-8
year old pre DTS receivers. People dump perfectly good receivers
to get the latest surround modes, yet these old things are great
as a 2-channel amplifier. Something like a Kenwood KR-V Dolby Digital
amplifier would per perfect. My one in the computer room does
100wpc*2 just fine.

That leaves $1200 for the speakers.