Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default HELP - Please Identify These Two Parts....................

EADGBE wrote in message

I have a "rainy afternoon project" that has got me puzzled.

I have an old Pioneer cassette deck that I am restoring.

The capstan motor worked for a short while, then it stopped.

The casing of the motor felt VERY warm, so I knew something was
amiss.

(One of the voltage regulators in the deck's main power supply became
EXTREMELY hot whenever the capstan motor was connected, which was
another clue).

Suspecting a short in the capstan motor, I took the motor apart.

Take a look at what I found when I examined the motor's internal
voltage regulator circuit board...

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...3/SCORCHED.jpg

The motor's voltage regulator had burned itself up. Look at how
scorched the circuit board is!

I have a replacement regulator, but I want to make sure that all is
well inside this circuit before installing the replacement. (Yes, I
KNOW that I could simply get another motor, but remember, I am
tinkering for the sake of tinkering!)

So I have been checking all of the other components in this circuit,
to verify their health.

The one component that has me puzzled is the small black "diode"
indicated at the bottom of the photo.

There is no mark on this component other than the yellow stripe you
see.

I cannot get any type of reading on this component when I use my
multimeter -- I get nothing using my diode check function (forward or
reverse bias), no continuity, no resistance reading. It must be
faulty, I am assuming.

The other component that has me puzzled is the olive green "resistor"
just above the larger blue electrolytic capacitor. I get a steady
resistance reading of .5 ohms on this component.

I am going to disconnect at least one leg of each of these two
"mystery components" and take further readings, but I'm not used to
getting such odd readings right off the bat on these two components.

Can anyone provide any clues as to what these components are?

BY THE WAY, the motor is fed a steady voltage of 12.5 volts DC, with
no AC voltage ripple present. I have verified this.

Thanks In Advance.....

Is the diode oriented to soak up back emfs from the motor ?
The green thing is an inductor

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England