Stewart Pinkerton

Default Seeing/hearing and sighted/blind tests

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 18:10:57 GMT, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote in message news:KvQ1c.44925$PR3.895219@attbi_s03...

As it happens, a very long time ago, before the scales fell from my
eyes, a group of us actually did try a very carefully controlled
experiment involving 6 CDs from the same batch of pressings of Dave
Brubeck's 'Late Night Brubeck', played through Naim electronics into
Epos ES11 speakers ( the shop demo system of the guy who owned the
record store which naturally had lots of those discs). The 'green
penned' discs sounded exactly the same as the untreated discs -
although a couple of the original batch were rejected because for no
known reason they did not sound the same as the other four.
Scarpitti's claim is extraordinary at best.

The Stax Lambdas allow one to hear things that most transducers do
not. What is 'extraordinary' is their clarity. With these devices, I
can hear the difference on some CD's, with the green-pen treatment.

Rubbish. This is just another claim based on sighted listening, and in
this case I will personally put up $10,000 if you can do it under the
usual double-blind conditions. I repeat, there is *no* mechanism by
which the green pen can possibly work, the whole thing was just a
practical joke.