Lord Hasenpfeffer

Default Advantage of tape over MD?

Geoff Wood wrote:

I find it hard to believe that you, especially after all the help offered,
still totally miscomprehend almost everything about music and normalisation.

I understand that I am using a program called "normalize" that obviously
does more than just normalize. That's why I tend to enclose the word
"normalize" in quotation marks so often - because I'm aware that it's
not really just normalizing my WAVs.

Do you really think that every *track* is somehow deficient

No. Most every modern (i.e. 1994-present) CD and/or 24-bit digitally
remastered CD in my library requires no "munging" (as you say) - because
their peaks and levels are already the same or "better" than what I
would be able to make them by "normalize"-ing them to -10dBFS. Most
every other CD that I own, however, does need help, yes.

Andrew Lloyd Webber's 1987 "Phantom Of The Opera" CD set is a
particularly notable exception. When I scanned its peaks and levels
with "normalize" I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was already
"perfect". Not bad, I thought, for a CD I've owned since the late 80s
when it was practically still new.

if it isn't the same loudness as every other track on a CD,

Look again at my screenshot. There are *many* alternating loud and soft
passages in "Dark Side". They are of "the same loudness" at all. Where
the music should be subtle it remains subtle. Where it should be
dramatic, it is still dramatic.

It's the MFSL original WAV that is more consistently loud from start to
finish. Their WAV is damn near arrow straight!

and that by normalising it (whatever method) that you are somehow
being clever,

Nah. Not even close.

or improving the music (or the dymnamic range).

Improving the music? Nah. Nobody beats the Floyd.

Improving the dynamic range? I believe so, yes. Is that a bad thing?
Yesterday everyone was telling me how wrong it is to reduce dynamic
range - to which I easily agree. I've never heard anybody complain
about having too much dynamic range.

Back when CDs were new I used to read all the great things about how
it's dynamic range is something like +/-90dB or thereabouts, while that
of the lowly vinyl LP was something like +/-27dB. And there was dancing
in the streets.

In fact I can't believe that anybody could be that dumb, and that you must
actually be a USENET troll.

Please do not reduce yourself to name-calling. I am not a troll.

Myke

--

Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!