Lars Farm

David Satz wrote:

Increasing the number of "steps on the waveform" doesn't convey an
analog signal any more accurately unless the noise floor of the analog
signal is below that of the A/D converter. You can compare the output
to the input and measure (and listen to) the difference--that's the
gold standard, no? Adding more "steps" (bits) lowers the noise floor.
But it has no other effect on accuracy, i.e. on the difference between
input and output. That's why 20-bit and even 24-bit converters are used
in professional recording, while 16-bit compact discs appear to have
almost too much dynamic range for most consumer requirements. Optimal
bit depth is a straightforward engineering decision--you choose it to
fit your dynamic range requirements.

I'm not sure I follow. It seems to me that adding "steps" without
changing step size adds dynamic range but does nothing to quantisation
noise. A waveform smaller than 90dB peak to peak would be coded the same
in 16 and 24 bit audio (+/- a constant). Changing step size, adding
steps without changing dynamic range (not commercially available afaik)
would change quantisation noise. Is that what you're saying?

sincerely
Lars

--
lars farm // http://www.farm.se
lars is also a mail-account on the server farm.se