Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Deliberately introducing clipping?

Scott Dorsey wrote: "We live in an age with a lot of "mastering engineers" who really don't care about the long-term prospects of their product. "

I used to think that way - blame loudness & clipping all on the engineers. Over at GearSlutz they have explained to me that recording/mixing/mastering are service businesses, and that if you wanted to have food on the table and keep a roof over your head, yeah, you could educate your clients(the musicians, their producers) all you want, but then you would just give the client a hypercompressed, brickwall-limited ultra-loud master, if that's what they requested.

So it boils down to educating the end-consumer as to what a good record sounds like, and what knob they should use if they want it louder.