Stewart Pinkerton

Default More cable questions!

On 3 Jan 2004 04:02:21 -0800, (Bob-Stanton)
wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message

While true, this is irrelevant to the fact that lumped theory is
perfectly adequate for audio frequencies in domestic situations.

Yes, I agree that lumped constant models are perfectly adaquate for
audio frequencies, if one doesn't have the software necessary for
modeling a true transmission line.

Or even if one does, since you can't model the load impedance, thereby
rendering all this 'enhanced accuracy' utterly risible.

BTW, have *you* ever tried modeling a *real* speaker cable using
lumped constants? I'm curious to see what you used as a lumped
constant model. Please show us a model of 100 ft of standard (Home
Depot), 12 gage cable (terminated by an ideal 8 Ohm load).

BTW, have you ever tried modelling a *real* loudspeaker as the load?

Dick Pierce in the past, has presented a lumped constant loudspeaker
model. I'm sure it is adaquate for use as a load.

Ridiculously inadequate. RF systems are all configured to present 50
ohm or 75 ohm source and load impedances, enabling them to work
handily with 50 or 75 ohm cable. No two loudspeakers present anyhting
remotely like the same load, hence it's ridiculous to suggest the use
of a single model.