Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Ground Loop

Bob Simon wrote:

------------------

You must have missed the bit "My Panasonic TV (TH-50PH9UK) is a video
monitor only" !

** Nup, a TV set can be a monitor with a digital STB plus antenna
or cable box supplying the video.

Important to know, as those are prime causes of hum loops.

The OP also states that the audio goes nowhere near the monitor.

** Fake quote - just like fake news.

Complete bull****.

Ask Mr Trump.

I am the OP. John is correct - audio does not go to the TV,

** Read the fake quote.

See the words "nowhere near" ???

Since removing the ground from the TV stops the hum - it IS part of the earth loop the affects your AUDIO !!

which does not have an audio amp or speakers.

** Irrelevant to the earth loop issue.

So, to be precise, it's really just a video monitor rather than a TV.

** FFS get theat rubbish out of out head.

The entire system has a COMMON earth.

Yes, of course there are other devices that indirectly connect to both the audio system and the monitor. A Contour STB, BluRay player, and Fire Stick are all connected to an iArk 3-port HDMI switch with the output going to the monitor. 2-channel audio from this switch goes to the pre-amp as well as audio from the STB and BleRay player. The Cox feed to the STB is isolated using a Jensen ISO-MAX VRD-1FF CATV Isolator.

I did not include any information on these devices in my original post because the resolution of the hum issue did not involve them.

** You are one dumb jerk.

ALL the items in your system are potential culprits in an earth loop scenario.

The only change I made to eliminate the hum was lifting the ground to the video monitor.

** So there was another ground someone - among the many items you failed to MENTION !!

Selecting your evidence STUFFS any attempt at giving you help.

...... Phil