Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default -3dbfs for web/podcast audio?

Arny Krueger wrote:

"joe h" wrote in message

I've been doing some recordings for web/podcast work. Nothing too
serious yet. Just practicing to get the hang of it.

I've been editing the audio files so that they max peak around
-3dbfs. I know some rock bands try for -0.1dbfs. But that seems kind
of extreme. I'm doing some mild compression, but definitely not
trying to win the loudness wars.

I could easily go -1 or -2dbfs instead of -3dbfs. Just not sure what
makes the most sense for a "sensible internet peak signal level" for
spoken word stuff.

I use -1 dB FS, based on a large number of tests of digital gear of all
kinds. While some converters are very clean right up to -0.01 dB FS, a lot
of them crap out a little bit earlier.

That works well, IME.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri