Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default -3dbfs for web/podcast audio?

In article ,
joe h wrote:
Hello,

I've been doing some recordings for web/podcast work. Nothing too
serious yet. Just practicing to get the hang of it.

I've been editing the audio files so that they max peak around
-3dbfs. I know some rock bands try for -0.1dbfs. But that seems kind
of extreme. I'm doing some mild compression, but definitely not
trying to win the loudness wars.

I could easily go -1 or -2dbfs instead of -3dbfs. Just not sure what
makes the most sense for a "sensible internet peak signal level" for
spoken word stuff.

It depends a whole lot on your encoder and how it works. You may well be
able to go to 0dBFS and be fine.

You don't need much compression, but limiting peaks can sometimes help a
whole lot in bringing overall levels up without affecting sound much or at
all. If you're only chopping one or two peaks in the whole file, nobody
will notice, and you can gain substantial level improvement. You don't have
to slam it.