Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Vinyl's Comeback - featured NYTimes article

On Dec 7, 5:05=A0pm, bob wrote:
Robert wrote:
I think the point is that sales of LPs keep growing, which is a
surprise.

"Keep growing" is overstated, What we have here is a couple years of
growth after decades of decline and stagnation.

Not really sure how a fact stated as a fact can be an overstatement.
vinyl sales have been in fairly constant growth for the past decade.
But there has been a substantial spike in the last couple years.

The interesting question is, Why? I don't think this is audiophile-
driven.

No doubt the constant growth over the past decade has to some degree
been driven by audiophiles. One need look no further than the huge
increase in audiophile vinyl titles available today compared to 10 and
15 years ago to see that. But the recent spike in the last couple
years I suspect has been more about vinyl becoming cool.

Their demand for vinyl was being met in the late stagnant
years.

Not the audiophile demand.

I suspect the article is right about vinyl now appealing to a
younger cohort, as sort of a retro fad. Nothing wrong with that, but
fads have limits, too, and we may well see vinyl sales plateau fairly
soon.

One can only hope. This fad has actually had some ill effects on vinyl
for audiophiles.

Just as an aside, the quality of the gear these records are being
played on is very depressing.

Which records?