Posted to rec.audio.tech
Andrew Barss[_2_] Andrew Barss[_2_] is offline

Default Vinyl making a comeback?

David Nebenzahl wrote:
: On 9/7/2009 5:29 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

: "David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
: s.com...
:
: But there's *nothing* inherent in the production and sale of
: music discs that similarly would preclude someone from being able
: to choose one format over another;
:
: Sure there is, the fact that selling music is a business. There is no
: business case for putting all music out in both LP and CD format.

: Just to address this small point, I can certainly remember when much
: music (not all, to be sure) came out in both LP and cassette formats
: (remember that?)

Yes I do. Cassettes were great for portability, not so much for
durability or ease of changing tracks. Vinyl was impossible to
port around (well, almost: see http://ookworld.com/hiwayhifi.html),
but didn't get eaten up by a malfunctioning player, and you could skip
tracks with the greatest of ease. So each one filled a marketing
niche the other couldn't. As Arny pointed out, there's no such equivalent
for vinyl/CD. (Aside from the retro appeal, or people confused by the
claims that vinyl reproduces music better).

, and I'm pretty sure there was even a period where some
: was released in three formats (LP, cassette and CD).

Perhaps the transition point, when CD players were new enough that they
were very pricey? A few years ago movies were standardly released on DVD
and VHS tape for that reason. Didn't last long.

-- Andy Barss