Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default I found the holy grail that explains audiophile beliefs

"Ron Capik" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

How about this:

......snip...

Should I mention the classic SP article by Michael
Fremer where he claims that volume controls should be
avoided and that instead you should swap phono
cartridges to change listening levels.

Aren't volume controls just a way to introduce amplitude
distortion?

Its only distortion if you get it wrong. ;-)

And how is swaping out phono cartrages all
that different from selecting the perfect microphone for
the job?

Seems like a hard row to hoe to just change the volume.

Anyway, there's only one volume at which things should be
listened to, the volume they were recorded at. CDs should
list the proper listening level so folks don't go
introducing amplitude distortion; much like fine beer
that lists the proper drinking temperature!

OK. ;-)