Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

Default Noob Ohm Issue 2 vs 8

bob zee wrote:

That is what I figured. I was really just looking for some
confirmation.
What will 8ohm do to my SQ or am I worrying for no reason?

Bob, take a deep breath. Use the force. Go to your happy place. Relax.

Cross each bridge as you come to them--don't try to get it perfect the
first time around because, well, quite frankly it sounds like this
might be your first "go" at system building and it might not sound
perfect the first time around. Even systems setup by experts typically
need tweaking and tuning to get them to sound just right...and
sometimes even that doesn't work.

Just have fun with it. Follow carefully the instructions I've given you
thus far, follow the wiring diagrams, and check everything you do two
or three times. Modern amplifiers have lots of protection circuits in
them to keep you from doing something obcenely stupid and destroying
your amplifier. That's not to say you can be careless, only that you
don't have to sweat bullets here--it's all just a matter of "putting
tab A into slot B", tightening some screws and vacuuming-up after
yourself when you're done.

Running in 8 Ohms mono is effectively the same as running in 4 Ohms
stereo. While you won't get the absolute most power out of your
amplifier, you will definitely run cooler, you'll usually have greater
dynamic headroom and the damping factor will be higher. In short, sound
quality can actually be *better* with a higher load than with a lower
load. If you find that the subs aren't quite loud enough to keep up
with the rest of your system (or with your expectations), THEN you can
fall back to using just half of your amp bridged on a 4 Ohm
load...which will be louder but *might* not sound as good--it's all
very subjective and ultimately only you are going to be able to tell if
it "sounds good" or not. We're just a bunch of talking heads and it's
not our ears in your car.

-dan