Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

Default Just why is this worth eight thousand dollars?

J. P. Morris wrote:
Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or 4-track.
It doesn't even appear to be valve-based:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VGC-AIWA-3-HEAD-...cm dZViewItem

..yet it has gone for $7900, which is probably about ten times its original
price, if that. Now normally I'd say that the two zero-bidders were
shills, but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

It's being used as part of a money-laundering scheme. I bet a dollar.