Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Default Just why is this worth eight thousand dollars?

J. P. Morris wrote:
Here's a question for the reel-to-reel gurus.
As far as I can see this AIWA TP1011 is an ordinary domestic 2 or 4-track.

..yet it has gone for $7900, which is probably about ten times its original
price, if that. Now normally I'd say that the two zero-bidders were
shills, but the guy who made the final purchase seems to have a good
history.

Must be either a Japanese collector or someone's pulling our leg.
There's no practical or technical reason for this to be worth any more
than $50. Notice that the auction ended early to sell to the current
high bidder. Even the first bid of $250 was outrageous.

I'll take a paltry $2500 for a TEAC 6100 that I have in a home made
portable case, and I'll even throw in the original teak side panels,
just in case someone was watching this auction and dropped out the
second day.