Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

Default Sony gets serious about high-resolution audio, again

On Friday, September 20, 2013 4:24:54 PM UTC-7, ScottW wrote:
On Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:09:54 PM UTC-7, Scott wrote:
=20
=20
=20
=20

=20
Again, so what? When I get a new SACD that is beautifully mastered and =

it sounds amazing I really don't care about what people here state and res=
tate. I don't care what studies say. I care about superior sound and bette=
r mastered SACDs are a great source for that.
=20
=20
=20
Kind of obfuscates around the question...are they superior due to masteri=

ng or are they superior due to the media?

The question is mute and I have lost all interest in it. I have heard great=
sound from LPs. I have heard great sound from CDs and I have heard great s=
ound from SACDs. It is quite clear that regardless of whether or not any of=
these media are or are not transparent they are all capable of superb soun=
d and the mastering is usually the most obvious variable (I would say with =
the exception of euphonic colorations from vinyl). But the bigger point is =
sometimes the better mastering is on vinyl, sometimes it's on SACD and some=
times it's on CD. Yeah, CD! If someone hasn't experienced great sound from =
all three media I would say that they are out of the loop and painfully ill=
informed by their experience. The relevant question isn't whether or not S=
ACD is more transparent than CD as a medium. The relevant question is which=
titles sound better on which masterings. And since one can find the best v=
ersions on all three media at this point depending on the title the the que=
stion of which media is technically superior lacks real world relevance. So=
I am not obfuscating the question. I am pointing out that unlike SACD the =
question itself is dead.=20
=20
=20
=20
I'm convinced it's the mastering. I've got CD remasters that are better =

than original release, and some DVD-A releases that I can't tell from the o=
riginal CD.
=20
I've also got some CD original releases that sound as good as anything.
=20
=20
=20
That leaves me less than interested in rushing out to buy a new player ju=

st to support another format which is ultimately why I think SACD didn't re=
ally take off.

But it is taking off and there are some really well mastered SACDs that you=
are missing if you choose to bypass SACD.

=20
=20
=20
At some point I'll get a new player that will support it....and also 4k v=

ideo

That is an excellent call!