Pooh Bear

Default Installing second hard drive

Arny Krueger wrote:.

SMART doesn't tell 100% of the story.

Nothing can sadly !

Certainly won't help if the spindle motor packs up.

If it says the disk is bad, then you should replace the disk.

Yeah, that's the point really. Hopefully 99% of the time it should give
sufficeint warning.

If it does not say the disk is bad that doesn't mean the disk is any good. It
just means that SMART's limited testing finds no faults.

I believe that most of the reporting is based on tracking the read/write
retries and monitoring servo problems.

Of course, the message I get at boot-up is so quick, many ppl may miss it and
what's the chance that some ppl will have seen a warning but 'though it was ok
anyway' since it kept working ?

Graham