Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute Andre Jute is offline

Default The damping factor and the sound of real music

John Byrns wrote:

In article
,
Andre Jute wrote:

I might add that as a psychologist I understand perception, including
a point about musical perception that electronics engineers have the
greatest difficulty in grasping, to wit that the weight of the
fundamental is pretty low in reconstructing the frequency in the ear.
I demonstrated that the other day with regard to 196Hz on a violin in
a letter to Iain Churches which, typically, elicited no discussion
because no-one except he and I are interested, and we already know
about it.

Andre, I missed your discussion with Iain, but I must disagree with your
claim "that electronics engineers have the greatest difficulty in
grasping" this. Any electronics engineer that has worked on the design
of of small table radios understands this point about musical perception.

Regards,

John Byrns

All right, perhaps I've maligned a subsection of electronics engineers
who have been taught this crucial fact by experience, and to them I
apologize unreservedly.

However, "that the weight of the fundamental is pretty low in
reconstructing the frequency in the ear" should be a crucial fact in
the armory of every audio engineer, yet there is not the slightest
evidence that any of the self-proclaimed audio electronics engineers
(some of them with impressive credentials) on these conferences knows
it, or admits it, or understands the implications. In fact, there is
every indication, for instance in loose talk about bass extension and
even looser talk about the "audio frequency band" that audio
electronics engineers who mouth off here and on related conferences
have never heard this fact before today.

This is weird, if you consider it, because the loudspeaker is the most
important part of the audio chain, and the one where unnecessary
bandwidth extension costs the most.

Andre Jute
Perception is a skill that requires study and careful development over
along period of time. Few have it as a natural gift. -- Iain Churches