Stewart Pinkerton

Default weakest Link in the Chain

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:19:25 GMT,
(=?iso-8859-1?q?J=F3n?= Fairbairn) wrote:

With levels matched to +/- 0.1 dB at 100Hz, 1kHz and
10kHz, experience suggests that 'wire is wire'.

Yes, but the question was about what isn't wire. Your first
paragraph implies that bell wire can be heard, which goes
some short way towards answering my question, but where is
the limit of detectability for that sort of sillyiness? How
little resistance -- in particular current dependent
resistance -- can be detected? How much
inductance/capacitance?

It does depend on the listener, but experience suggests that level
differences around 0.5-1 dB can be heard by most listeners.

I have no idea what you mean by 'current-dependent resistance', but
capacitance has no effect in a speaker cable, and inductance simply
rolls off the highs, although I've not actually heard any difference
even with a 3dB droop at 20kHz, which is a *very* extreme situation.