Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Help, Electrical Problems.....

Beyond that, I can only offer workarounds. For example, installing a
toggle switch in a discreet location (like a 2nd "on/off" switch) for
the head unit, and basically running it off of the same constant power
wire that the deck is already using.

Thanks Lull, in fact that is EXACTLY what I am doing for now. I cut the red
ignition wire, twisted the yellow B+ and deck's ignition wire together and
so the radio works fine, you just have to remember to turn it on and most
importantly, OFF again when you are done. Like I said, I cut the red
ignition wire (and crimped the ends) so no current can flow back from the B+
into the ignition system.

But as you apptly put it, I have a larger issue I need to resolve as most of
my dash lights currently don't work (and they did before), cigarrette
lighter does not get any power, ect. I know all these problems are related
in some way.

I did check ALL the fuses in the fuse box in the cabin. Are you saying (and
please excuse my ignorance, I really don't know much about car electronics)
that there is another bank of fuses under the hood? If so, one of those
could be blown and be the source of my power problems.

It's strange. You would think that if the ignition wire was sitting at only
..64 volts there might be engine problems still, but there is not. It runs
great.

This one really has me baffled. Again, thanks for the reply, Lull. Talk to
you later...

Nick