Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Default Windows Is Driving Me To Drink! (Win7 This Time)

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]
At my wits end, I decided to take the low road and do a "clean Windows
install." So starting from scratch, I didn't see those little arrows
. . . until I tried to access the computer from a WinXP computer.
Then the little arrows came back.

Should I re-install Windows again, put a piece of gaffer tape over the
network connection port and turn it into a nun? Be one of those people
who say "I only want it for audio and it'll never go on the Internet?"

You shouldn't have to do all that, but after reading the thread, I am
wondering why you are using the default user folders for you files rather
than a separate folder on the drive with file sharing set (my guess is that
you have the entire drive set for sharing, a typical practice when drives
were small and computers with multiple drives were common).

Vista and Win7 are not like XP. To support the presumption that the computer
will always by on-line (which it will be if it has access), security
measures have been introduced to address the way that many users work. Win7
removed most of Vista's "nag messages" about permission to do just about
anything with the computer, but the underlying paradigm is still to add a
layer of "protection" for those who do all their work as users with
administrative permission levels, enabling access over the internet to
protected areas.
--
best regards,

Neil