Posted to rec.video.desktop, rec.photo.digital, rec.audio.pro
David Ruether[_3_] David Ruether[_3_] is offline

Default Has your memory card ever worn out?

"Steve King" wrote in message
:
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I just had a client who needed to restore some backups after a total loss
type hard drive crash. His USB flash drive had about 9 GB of data. It
blue-screened the laptop its data needed to be restored to after a few
minutes of loading. Its reliability for just reading was poor on 3 other
desktop systems. The drive disconnected itself from the system several
times during attempts at restoring it, and on one machine that normally
works well, it would just sit in a loop attaching, crashing, and
re-attaching. On another older laptop the whole 9 GB flowed to its hard
drive (a flash-based SSD) just fine in one clean shot. I moved the data
to the target machine over a wireless LAN without incident.

YMMV.

Would be interesting to know your client's blood pressure swings as the
recovery attempts/failures went on;-) This is a good story to remind me
that if a USB Flash drive fails to read on one machine to keep trying.

Steve King

I just dumped and reloaded Vegas Pro 11, and before I ran some
tests that had caused Pro to crash ever more frequently in the
past, I thought to remove the USB 4-gig thumb-drive from the
computer before reloading the program. The thumb drive may not
have been the cause of the problems, but without it and with
the new installation, Vegas Pro 11 passed my tests and did not
crash. 8^)
--DR