Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default NPR's Idea of Audio Genius

On Tue, 3 May 2011 05:54:31 -0700, Gary Eickmeier wrote
(in article ):

Ed Seedhouse wrote:

Just shows the no one is above being gulled. The effects played were
certainly audible and about as effective as the "Theatre Dimensional"
sound setting on my four year old Onkyo receiver. Is Bob Carver still
with us? Perhaps he has grounds for a suit! Or did someone else
pioneer the concept even earlier?

Maybe someone should send NPR a copy of the first track of "Amused to
death", where another incarnation of the same old idea is used. Tell
them to turn up the volume and listen to the dog barking. PF also
used binaural tracks, notably on "Just another brick in the wall" and
also on the "The Final Cut". And later Madonna used "holosonic
sound" (also aural crosstalk cancellation IIRR) it on one of her
albums, I believe.

They must be hiring them young at NPR these days, given the budget
cuts. Or maybe Seniors with badly failing memories.

It pales besides the nonsense about economics that NPR allows on the
air. Still, there's "car talk" and "Wait Wait, don't tell me!"

I first heard the effect on a square plastic disk that came with an
old copy of "Audio" magazine if my memory does not fail me.

YES! Holosonics was another one! Thanks. There must be even more. I remember
waiting in line at an AES convention to listen to the latest one of these,
and I think it was Holosonics. Has anyone else noticed that it is most
effective with close up sounds like cutting your hair, or whispering in your
ear? But the far field sounds have more trouble with the IHL (Inside the
Head Locatedness) problem.

And I also remember the Audio magazine insert disc.

Gary Eickmeier

This is what happens when you let media "talking heads" and their
"puppeteers" voice opinions and make decisions about things of which they
have very little to no knowledge.