Posted to rec.audio.high-end
DManzaluni DManzaluni is offline

Default Panoramic spectrum analysis

On Mar 29, 10:21*am, Steve wrote:
Slightly off topic but if we are talking about FM and webcasts;

1) Is the bitrate of an MP3 streaming webcast the same as the bitrate
of an MP3 file.

2) What bitrate is equivelent to FM quality?

I am asking this because I am listening to WGBH FM Boston via the
internet and my Squeezebox says it is 24 bit CBR MP3 and it sounds
suprisingly good!

I agree and wonder why all supposed "best tuner" lists all seem to
comprise pretty much exclusvely the analogue ones such as the 10b,
Sequerra and the MR71 Does anyone now think that this much vanuted
digital synthesiser tuning which everyone says gives such precise
tuning that panoramic scannere are no longer necessary, produces
incrementally superior quality?

Sorry to be a bit of a luddite but my old fashioned view is that those
older tuners which people still seem to be using to play, yes, their
favourite FM stations, do actually produce such better sound that
sooner or later, someone is going to start making those tuners much as
people have started making valve amplifiers again (even though they
dont really pan out on the figures).

Am I completely out of court on this and do the cognoscenti really
thing that high end users will be able to get the sound they like
through the Internet?

I have a firend who sells high end HiFi in the sense of everything
(eight foot high speakers, three foot high external transformers etc
etc) costing over $30,000 and was invited into his living room for a
demonstration of his best equipment: I wonder why he chose to
demonstrate what was the finest equipment on the face of the earth
with a 1960s REL Precedent tuner (with an outboard stereo decoder) if
the modern digital synthesized equipment and modern FM stations are so
mediochre?