Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz Norman M. Schwartz is offline

Default Bananas, Spades, or Bare Wire ?

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
: "erich" wrote in message
: ...
: On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:52:22 +0000, zchwax wrote:
:
: Just picked up some Mogami-3130 11 gauge wire to connect to some NHT
: Series 3.
:
:
: My favorite is ring terminals since they can't accidentally slip off
the
: post. I wish more equipment manufacturers used posts that accepted
these.

: One of the better ways of handling the problem is to tin the last 1/4"
of
: the wire with solder. This will hold the strands together while you
insert
: them into the binding post. I usually strip only 1/4" of insulation,
tin
: the strands, then strip off another 1/2" of insulation.

: Norm Strong

What happens to the connection between the wire and binding post as
the untinned wire oxidizes over time? (I have completely untinned wire
connecting my speakers, and just recently it occurred to me oxidation
might degrade the connection over time). Is this a real issue?

One is likely to have untinned wire between the x-overs and drivers within
our speakers. Most likely, those connections will serve to outlast both you
and me.

-- Andy Barss