Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Padrick

Default Usefulness of these mics for recording purpoese

I'm not a fan of the 57, but they work. I'd rather have a D6 or Beta52 for
kick, but the D112 will work.

I'd go for (used) Audix D4s instead of the 609s, but the 609s are good. A
609 with a D4 is a great combo for guitar cab.

"Harlequin Abattoir" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been recording music in a fairly amateurish fashion for the
lastthree or four years but have now decided to try and get a really
good mic setup for recording my band during the summer. The main mics I
need are good drum mics but I was wondering if anybody here could give
me some advice on the setup I have started to purchase.

So far I have bought:
One Shure SM-57 (mainly for snare drum)
and
one AKG D-112 (for kick drum)

I also intend to buy:
Two Marshall MXL 603s (mainly for drum overheads)
Three Sennheiser 604s (for 2 rack and 1 floor toms)

I am on a fairly limited budget but if anybody could give me some
advice on the quality of this setup that would be very much
appreciated.

If anybody could give me advice on how I could use these mics for the
other instruments in my band and how they compare with other mics more
commonly used on these instruments that would also be greatly
appreciated.

My band's lineup is:
2x Guitarists (one rhythm, 1 lead using acoustics and electrics)
1 Singer and some backing vocals
1 Bass player
1 Drummer