Ed Foster

Default Rockers Unite to Oust Bush

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:35:05 GMT, (Scott Gardner)
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:17:01 GMT,

wrote:

'Rockers' should stick to playing music and sucking up to
record company execs, which is all they know how to do.

When I want political advice from the Dixie Chicks, I'll
squeeze their legs together.

I suffer from cognitive dissonance on this point. One the one
hand, it ****es me off to watch celebrities espouse their opinions on
non-musical matters, no matter what their opinions are. But on the
other hand, I donate to various causes, and if I suddenly became
famous, I wouldn't mind using my fame to draw attention to a cause I
believe in.
In other words, as a private citizen, I can promote spaying
and neutering of pets, and donate my money and time to those causes
that feel the same way, but if I suddenly come into fame and fortune,
any gift of my time or money is likely going to be publicized, turning
me into exactly the kind of celebrity I'm annoyed by.

Scott Gardner

And such is life.

It's a free country, and they have the right express their
opinions - I'll ignore their opinions on this topic just like I do on
what soda to drink or what car to buy, or how to dress or talk or
anything else.

Anyone whose opinions are formed by what some musician said,
where that musician only has a public spotlight by virtue of screaming
'baby, baby, baby' louder and longer than those around him, is an
idiot to begin with.

True, but they're allowed to vote anyway.

Luckily, the population segment they influence is in itself
uninfluential, so there's minimal harm done.

Not quite, they could be influential if they voted, but fortunately
they don't. I'm agreeing with you but saying it differently.

I did like the bit about Willie Nelson recently calling Dennis Kucinich
to offer his time and a slogan, "Kucinich: His middle name is sin,".
That's sure to be a winner. :-)