Mike Rivers

In article writes:

It's the
potential that intrigues me, and pretty soon, I think there will be select
applications that a Linux box is suitable for, at least comparable if not
better than the 'competition'.

Maybe that's what your crystal balls says. Mine says it won't happen
very soon. There are several reasons:

1. Linux applications, no matter how good, are of no use without
computers running Linux.

2. There aren't many computers running Linux, and most that are are
either in network/server applications or are fodder for
experimenters. There's no good reason for the "common user" to run
Linux when the computer that he buys at the department store
already has an operating system installed that will run hundreds of
audio applications, productivity tools, and games.

3. Without a strong OS support, only experimenters have the incentive
to develop special purpose applications, and they don't know when
they're finished. There's no potential for a commercial developer
here because Linux people aren't accustomed to paying for their
software (at least partly because they're part of the developoment
team.

Digidesign, Steinberg, Magix, and Cakewalk may decide to port their
flagship products to Linux some day, but not until they can make money
at it. I doubt that your typical Linux user would be willing to pay,
say $5,000 for a copy of Nuendo, just to avoid using Windows.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )